Top food blogs

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tobago Shipwreck

     Checking out the  challenge of the month I find the "herb garden" idea a great introduction into the season. The first cocktail that came to mind was the LBC Mule, a lovely herbaceous drink I concocted upon a challenge some years ago. But why go for the easy shot, lately I have been playing around with homemade tea syrups and I had just the right blend in mind. A mix called "Tobago tea," came to mind. I had purchased a tea years back with the same name and figured the mix would work well here. Lime basil, pineapple sage, toasted coconut and lime peel all sweetened with stevia(Truvia), a great tea syrup was produced.
     Now mixing the Tobago Shipwreck, I chose rum as I usually do and mixed it with the "tea" syrup. I added a dropper of Bittermen's Jamaica #1 bitters(one I have found to love lately), some lime juice and basil leaves; muddled it all and topped it with "7Up"(Sierra Mist).



Tobago Shipwreck
2 oz. Pyrat XO rum
1 oz. "tea syrup" (lime basil, pineapple sage, toasted coconut, and lime peel steeped for five minutes and sweetened with Truvia)
0.5 oz. lime juice
2 basil leaves
- muddle, add 2 dashes Jamaican bitters, and top with "7Up" (Sierra Mist)






The drink presented itself as a definitive rum & 7, but shortly gave off bitter notes and slight herbaceousness .  I will say with my omission of the ice may have been premature. Some chilling is needed but the flavor structure is there and prominent.

http://cocktailsincardiff.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment